Saturday, February 5, 2011

You are a content finisher | Scott Myers

Reader Question: What to do if I'm having trouble starting and finishing script projects?

Question from Maurice:
I've been writing screenplays for over four years. Most of the feature & short screenplay I've written were practice to sharpen my skills as a writer. At this point in my career I have a hard time sticking to one project. I will do development & research for a script, then a few days will past & I have the impulse to jump to another project (I've done this around 15 times in the past 2 months). I think my problem is I'm having trouble staying focus on one project & seeing it all the way through to the finished product (with rewrites). It may be that I so badly want to write the "right" screenplay to represent my talent that I'm afraid that the screenplay I choose to write won't be the "right" one. Do you have an advice on this? If so, thanks.
Maurice, whether you are "afraid that the screenplay I choose to write won't be the 'right' one" or not, the simple fact is this:

Unless you finish a script, you can't sell it.

I sympathize with you. For those creative types who have an abundance of story ideas, that is both a blessing and a curse, the latter pertaining to your situation. It's exacerbated by so much focus nowadays on so-called content creators in this era where content is king. But on a purely pragmatic level what we should really be striving to be is content finishers.

Here are some great quotes on the subject from other writers:

"My lousy way of getting it [a script] done is better than your great way of not doing it."
-- Terry Rossio

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."
-- Lewis Carroll

"Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft."
--Annie Lamott

"The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
-- Sylvia Plath 

"Finish what you're writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it."
--Neil Gaiman

My advice: Pick the story concept you feel is the best combination of strongest idea per the marketplace and the project for which you have the most passion.

Then. Write. That. Script.

Do. Not. Deviate. From. That. Plan.

Give yourself 12 weeks. Mark it on the calendar. "First draft of Project X due today."

Go on Facebook and tell the world you have just started Project X and you are aiming to be done with a first draft by that date.

In other words, make a commitment. A pledge. Put your ass on the line.

Then write the hell out of that script.

Whenever you hear those Little Voices Inside Your Head saying, "Wait, Maurice, I think this other idea is a better one... don't commit to Project X, you don't know if it's your best story or not," here's what you do.

Tell those voices to screw off [the F-word will probably carry more authority].

Remember: You are not a content creator. You are a content finisher.

In other words, you are a writer. And a writer gets their damn stories done.

Good luck!

Go Into The Story: Reader Question: What to do if I'm having trouble starting and finishing script projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment