Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hollywood Tales - Raymond Chandler | Go Into The Story

"Working with Billy Wilder on Double Indemnity was an agonizing experience and has probably shortened my life, but I learned from it about as much about screenwriting as I am capable of learning, which is not very much.

Like every writer, or almost every writer, who goes to Hollywood, I was convinced in the beginning that there must be some discoverable method of working in pictures which would not be completely stultifying to whatever creative talent one might happen to possess.

But like many others before, I discovered that was a dream. Too many people have too much to say about a writer's work. It ceases to be his own. And after a while he ceases to care about it. He has brief enthusiasms, but they are destroyed before they can flower."

-- Raymond Chandler, "Writers in Hollywood"

Go Into The Story: Hollywood Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment