Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Five-Page Writing Sample | Done Deal

From Done Deal newsletter:

HOLLYWHOOPED
Question:
Hi,
I have a lot of completed feature scripts. I get asked for a five-page writing sample a lot when applying for work. I understand its purpose is to show what you can do. What should your best five-page writing sample look like and contain?
Best,
Alex
Advice:
Alex,
You want to show that you can write, that you are in command of your craft. That means a scene that delivers what you promise. If you're a comedy writer, give me an opening set piece that is really funny. I want to see how well you write dialogue, and if your characters pop, and if you've set up a premise that is going somewhere. You can tell a lot in five pages.
--Dave
To read questions and answers or get advice yourself, visit this link:
http://www.donedealpro.com/members/hollywhooped.aspx




POST OF THE MONTH
Post:
Pros and Cons to a Screenwriter LLC?
What do you guys think about screenwriters setting up their own LLC? Is there any point, especially if you don't have a steady or large stream of income through screenwriting?
I only ask because I have some career momentum (an optioned script that's making some headway and a free writing assignment). End of the day, I might not make a dime. But I had someone ask me why I don't set up an LLC, and my response was, "I'm not really sure." LLCs are generally useful in protecting the individual from lawsuits, but I'm not sure how or if that applies to "amateur" screenwriting.
Response:
Most writers, directors, producers, etc. who make a good living in Hollywood will set up corporations rather than LLCs... Often referred to as "loan outs" or "personal services" corporations, because typically, the "artist" will be loaning out their personal services through the corporation. This provides that protection of lawsuit vs. the individual that can be absorbed by the corporation instead. Usually an S Corp is what is set up.
No sense in doing it until you have certain income thresholds—check with your accountant. Because there are fees in California of $800 per year even if you make nothing... plus startup costs, which can be a few thousand.
To see all of the responses, visit this link:
http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=59437

To check out our message board, visit this link:
http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment