Monday, January 5, 2009

Having a wonderful time, wish you could hear: My comments on Ebert's blog

I have been a part of exhibition industry in Bombay for many years. And I would be pleasantly (very) surprised, if this film gets a release. I was fortunate to watch it in Denver but am sure back home things will be viewed differently.

Indians are 'laid-back' and 'tolerant'? Well, I would believe so. But...they are also quite 'sensitive', and...the political system is such that you are always looking for agendas to be in the limelight.

What this film does - makes fun of (Lord) Rama; for me, it works; for me, it makes sense, and I could even seen it in good humor. But...it doesn't work that way with a character, rather a GOD, who is the supreme being in a country full of Hindus.

Eventually, you will see that we are not that 'tolerant'!

This film will not be viable even from a business perspective, though it could perhaps get a 'look-in' at some festival, if it has (ironically) a low-profile.

I can visualize a meeting of top multiplexes, wherein they shall straight away rule out playing this film - this film would be deemed as offensive and 'disrespectful', plus you don't want an unnecessary hassle as the only people who shall 'love' this film would be the political junkies. They would love it plays, so they can some and stop it with their violent protests. Even if the controversy creates extra interest about the film, it will not get the monies. So yeah, a pity that it would be a dead-duck.

There are people who would appreciate such a film but alas won't get an opportunity. Yeah, 'blues' galore in the land of tricolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment